Family NotesThis section of the Sadlier-Oxford web site offers free online interactive games, challenges, and links for students, as well as guidance and support for families of children who are learning new phonics and word study skills. Spanning grade levels from PreK to 6, these resources provide extra practice in a wide variety of phonics and word study skills, presenting them in a fun and engaging way.
FeaturesThe most memorable feature of the Phonics and Word Study web area is the collection of online student interactivities. Some of these take advantage of some of the most engaging aspects of cutting edge technology. Many of the activities feature sound, so that children can relate sounds to symbols with confidence. Other activities feature animation, a proven motivator for school-age children using interactive applications. And many of the activities keep a tally of users' responses, so that children can play again and again as they try to top their high score.
The student interactivities are varied in theme, skill level, and functionality. Here are just some of the options for visiting children:
- Basic skills checks, complete with sound, in which children demonstrate their mastery of short and long vowel words, consonant blends, digraphs, diphthongs, and more.
- The Letter Zoo, a lower grade game in which children use their knowledge of the partner letters to deliver a collection of baby animals to the zoo.
- Drag-and-drop exercises for long vowels, rhyming words, and high-frequency words.
- Fly-by contractions, where children click on planes as the zoom across an airfield.
- Environmental clean-up, where children use their knowledge of sentence comprehension to polluted pond into a glimmering fishing spot.
- Synonym and antonym challenge - fast paced animated games for older students in which they use their word study skills to run up the score.
- Memory cards, commonly know as "Concentration." For younger children there are simple picture-match and letter-match cards. For older students there are larger arrays featuring homonyms and plurals.